Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Motherhood is a Circus

This is one of the first poems I wrote about my role as a mother.  The few moms (my best friend, my sister, and my mom) I have shown it to really seemed to enjoy it, so I thought this would be a good first posting. 

Peter & Janet as Clown & Ringmaster, 1999

Motherhood is a Circus  by Janet Sobczyk, 2011


I took my kids to the circus one day
and we sat in the stands munching popcorn.
The show began with a big, long parade,
the characters seemed familiar and good.
As each act appeared I could soon picture
these strange parallels to my motherhood:


Silly Clowns provide the laughter,
with outfits and antics galore.
Mom needs a sense of humor, too,
to see the fun, enjoy the kids.

The Ringmaster with a loud voice,
directing the flow of events.
 "Time for dinner,"  "Let the dog in,"
"Do your homework,"  "Off to school now."

The Elephant lumbers along,
repeats old tricks, without feeling.
Just like dull housework and car pools,
do the shopping, do the laundry.

The Sweeper follows animals,
cleaning up the dirty messes.
Glasses of spilled milk and stained clothes,
muddy shoes and sticky fingers.

Trick Dog Act charms the audience,
takes patience and reinforcement.
So much like training young children
to become model citizens.

Concessions Seller cries out loud,
"Peanuts, popcorn, cotton candy!"
"What sounds good for dinner, my dear?"
Name your menu, short order cook.

The Contortionist bends with ease,
unending flexibility.
Thus, a mother moves from one role
to the next, changing plans daily.

Juggler stays focused tossing balls,
spinning plates without dropping them.
If Mom gets sick and can't perform,
the whole household comes crashing down.

Lion Tamer cracks the whip,
shows no fear and is very brave.
"Have no fear, child, mother is here,"
tames the fear in herself as well.

Girls in Leotards and makeup,
paste on a smile and look perfect.
Put on a calm face, be happy;
keep a clean house and lovely kids.

-------

When the show ended crowds left the big top,
but we waited for most people to leave.
Yet all the sights, smells, and sounds didn't stop;
the events and thoughts whirled 'round in my mind.
Moms live in a three-ring circus, it's true,
but a more rewarding life you won't find!






No comments:

Post a Comment