Saturday, June 30, 2012

Old Photos

This is a poem that I recently wrote while I was visiting my mom.  We spent an enjoyable evening going through photos that I hadn't seen for many years.

    I emailed the draft to my siblings and, with their insight, made a big improvement to the ending.  (Thanks, sisters!)  That's why I love the feedback (positive, and in this case "constructive") because it helps me improve the final product.  However, with writing, I'm not sure I ever get to a "final draft."  I can always go back and find something to tweek. So feel free to point out things you like and dislike.  Just be sure to tell me why.  :)


Old Photos  by Janet Sobczyk, 2012


Peeking into the past
viewing my youth with adult eyes:
black and white, cute baby pictures,
faded, colored teen years,
so thin, so young, such clothes!
with big hair and funny glasses,
smiling for the cam'ra.

At the pool, on my horse,
on a vacation or at school,
with a friend or with my siblings.
Look at our old green house!
when it was fresh and new
with tiny bushes and small trees,
antique cars in the drive.

Mom and Dad were so young,
even the grandparents were, too.
They looked like such dif'rent people,
their hair was much darker,
with smiles on smooth faces.
Everyone happy to be there
together for the day.


At home in the 1970s

No comments:

Post a Comment