Friday, August 3, 2012

Pecking Order


A couple years ago I took my first online class and loved analyzing poems.  It inspired me to try writing some of my own, which I hadn't done in about 30 years.

This was my first attempt, a Robert Frost-style of poem in that there is meaning hidden under the description of nature.  It has very little exact rhyme, but does have a strict meter, except for the opening and closing for reasons of visual effect.  Notice that the structure of the poem resembles a cylinder-style bird feeder with many perches outstretched and a wider base at the bottom.

I have one of those cylinder feeders in my tree outside my living room window and feel like my best entertainment is a $5 bag of birdseed for it.  I just love watching the antics of birds and squirrels. 


Photo taken by my brother at the Henry Doorly Zoo.

 Pecking Order  By Janet Sobczyk, 2010ⓒ

She is
a bird
feeder.
Newly
filled with
her thin arms outstretched,
waiting,
lonely.
Sparrows
chirp their discov’ry,
taking
a seed
or two,
quickly flit away,
return
for more
again.
A Cardinal comes,
Sparrows
alight
nearby
till satisfied it
retreats.
And then
Squirrel
bounds to the feeder,
digs out
the bits
to get
large, black shiny seeds.
Tiny
shells fall
off tray
sprinkling to the ground.
Then quick
Squirrel
turns tail,
chatters in disgust
at the
empty
feeder.
Alone again she
prays for
relief,
her share.
The Gard’ner will come
to fill
her store
once more.
She is the center of activity, love, and care.



Did you guess the following symbolism?
Feeder is a mother
Sparrows are children
Seeds are love and care
Red Cardinal is any daily emergency, big or little, that takes precedence until handled
Squirrel is marital discord/conflict that leaves mother feeling empty and alone
Gard'ner is God who fills mother with consolation & grace to continue loving & caring for others

No comments: