Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Watercolor Rainbow

The rain last night made me think of this poem.  
It's more about feelings than precipitation, and about making lemonade out of lemons.

 
The Watercolor Rainbow
By Janet Sobczyk, 2012ⓒ


A watercolor paint set
was her first lesson in art
but it became so much more.

I taught her to dip the brush
in one color at a time,
always rinse the brush before
dipping another color.

The picture was a rainbow
with puffy clouds beside it.
It started out colorful,
but then the poor child forgot
to rinse between the colors.
Soon the whole picture was gray,
the colors had all blended.

She was so very sad then
to see how it had turned out.
“I want to throw it away,”
she said and started to cry.
Instead I added a poem:
“Sometimes on a rainy day,
Even the rainbow can seem gray.”

We sent it to a dear friend
who was feeling sad herself.
She hung it up on her ‘frig
as a gentle reminder
of our love and prayers for her.

  
 My friend with the young artist in 1992

1 comment:

RhymeLovingWriter said...

This is a lovely story and poem Janet (though I must admit that your font choice made it a little difficult for these older eyes to read easily). :)