Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I've Learned... from my dog

My mother raised Miniature Schnauzers when I was young, so the family dog we chose 8 years ago for my own kids is a Schnauzer-Terrier mix that we found at the Humane Society.  I took her to obedience classes and she learned commands (like "come", "down", "sit", "stand", "roll over", "settle") very quickly.  I just didn't expect that I would learn so much from her!


Sophie dancing for a treat from Andrea.

What I’ve Learned… from my dog
by Janet Sobczyk, 2012

  • Meals can be the highlight of the day and don’t have to be eaten slowly to be enjoyed. 
  • There is a daily minimum requirement for physical affection. 
  • To be most content when everyone is home.  
  • That being well-groomed (brushed and trimmed) feels better than being shaggy. 
  • A walk around the block can be an adventure. 
  • It’s important to greet everyone who comes to our house or passes us on the street. 
  • Watching birds and squirrels is great entertainment. 
  • A sunny spot to rest does the body good.  Under a shady tree is the best spot in summer. 
  • Emotions can be effectively expressed through body language. 
  • It helps to listen and snuggle close when someone is sad or sick. 
  • To follow the master's voice.  (I didn't expect to learn spirituality from a dog!)
  • That requests (begging) are more often granted through quiet communication (wagging) than through loud demands (barking.)  So.... wag more and bark less! 

My family's first dog, Jewell.  She sure was
a jewel for putting up with me sitting on her!
My family's first Schnauzer, Abby, dances for a treat from me.
I love the resemblance to the top photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment