Friday, March 15, 2013

Lucky the Leprechaun


This is a called a lantern poem.  The lines have syllables from 1 to 5, which creates the shape.

It's about a St. Patrick's Day decoration that I set on a little shelf in our bathroom each March.   
One year the leprechaun started moving around the room.  I never knew for sure who was placing it in different spots each day, but I suspect my husband started it and the kids joined in.  It has become a bit of a tradition that the leprechaun moves each year.   

Last year I took photos of his "antics" and then shared the story with the first graders where I work.  I could honestly tell them I've never actually seen him move, but somehow he ends up in different places. Their reactions changed from disbelief to excitement when I showed them the photos. 

Some students thought the photos proved he was real like the characters in  the movie, "Toy Story" (which come alive when people aren't looking.)  They named him Lucky and wrote sentences about him.  Their illustrations were priceless.  :)

Lucky the Leprechaun
by Janet Sobcyzk, 2012ⓒ

Green
Plastic
Moves unseen
Surprises me
Where will he be next?


Lucky on our shower stall


 

No comments: