Saturday, October 18, 2014

Time Left Behind



After redecorating my bedroom, I spent some time enjoying the newness of it.  This poem is the result. The photo is my daughter, Carolyn, at a historic farmhouse.  The white curtains and her resemblance to my own blonde appearance at the same age of 3, inspired me to pair it with this poem.

Carolyn at Living History Farms in 1992
Time Left Behind
by Janet Sobczyk, 2014ⓒ


Freshly painted room
yellow and white
sweeps away old gloom
feels calm and bright.

Sprawled on bed
drinking in peace
my soul feels fed
                           my stress is released.                                                

House is quiet
here all alone
no more inner riot
no more ringing phone.

Lying and gazing
at window nearby
something quite amazing
snares my drowsy eye.

White cotton curtains
on summer’s breeze
dance like they’re flirtin’
pretty as you please.

This mesmerizing waltz
trips a memory
as present day halts
time floats free.

Fade to Gramma's room
on her big bed
slumber comes soon
for little sleepy head.

Sheets so cozy
fresh and clean
from dear Grandma's
ancient washing machine.

Lying and gazing
at window nearby
something quite amazing
snares my young eye.

Curtains, sheer white
                            dancing on breeze                             
swirling in the light
pretty as you please.

No comments: