Friday, May 19, 2017

Mother's Day Without Mom





                   Mother’s Day Without Mom
by Janet Sobczyk, 2016ⓒ

There’s nothing like Mother’s Day

to remind me she’s gone.



Ads mock: Show Mom your love!

On TV: commercials of beloved women,

cherub grandchildren.

In stores: bouquets, cards, chocolates,

even in the grocery aisles.



Walk away from the sight,

grief follows me home.

No more gifts to send,

calls to make,

hugs to give her.



Phone interrupts my despair:

daughter calls, sister calls, son texts.

There are flowers and hugs to receive,

gifts to open.

Gratitude swirls through sorrow,

and tears flow.


2 comments:

Paula said...

This is beautiful. I never thought about how difficult this day, and other commemorative days will be once the people we love to honor have passed. I like how you captured the realism of the mingled joy/sorrow that touches so many life experiences!

Janet Sobczyk said...

Thanks, Paula! I appreciate your input and am glad it gave pause for thought. :)